Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Posting Day!

Hooray, it's Posting Day! Ahh yes, but a Posting Day with a difference! Today I am offering a brand new Squid Crochet Hook! (And not just any ordinary squid... one with an Opal eye!)

Check out my new squid hook as well as four other lovelies on eBay!

And here she is:



This is my third hook in the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea series... something so fascinating about creatures so different to humans. Alien, yet prolific. I can only wonder what I could do with all those arms!!! (I might could work four or five lathes at the same time! hee hee!)

I really enjoyed making this hook -- it was quite time-consuming, but well worth the effort. I knew that I wanted to make a squid hook and so started out by turning an appropriate shape -- three "bubbles" rising from the deep, culminating in the shape of a squid.

It may sound odd, but I actually inlaid the eye first, before even defining the carved and painted form of the squid. I chose a Blue Opal that seemed to be the right shape and coloration. I then hand-carved a recess for the stone to sit in, and then inlaid the stone. (Indeed, this is a real opal, not an imitation). After seating the stone in the wood, I then carved all the offending surfaces so that the opal would be flush with the curve of the wood.

After this, I finished the rest of the hook, (sanded and polished), before beginning the carving. After making a suitably textured "skin" for this brand new squid, I then painted it in metallic acrylics. I've been fascinated watching documentary footage of the incredible undulating patterns that squids produce under the water -- for communication and other purposes. I tried to capture this by applying multiple layers of color, culminating in golden-colored dots, which add to the jewel-like appearance of the piece.

I think the opal is a perfect choice for an eye -- it reflects the natural state of squiddy affairs -- they do seem to have "watery" eyes. This particular stone has a stunning green flash when you turn it in the light! (The perfect "glint of intelligence" from our undersea friend!)

Anyway, I enjoyed making this piece very much -- please check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment